Friday 29 April 2011

Tealby Tea Rooms - a taste of the traditional

Tealby tearooms can be found on the main road through the village of Tealby, just on the edge of the stunning scenery of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Stepping inside is something like going back in time, as this is certainly a traditional tea room, with old-fashioned décor and red and white tablecloths.

I was out on a bike ride in the Wolds on the day of my visit and it was a scorching day. Cyclists are known for their coffee and cake stops, so the Tealby tearooms seemed like the perfect place to pause.

The room itself is quite small and attaches to the rest of the owners’ house. I was the only customer for much of my visit, but this didn’t feel uncomfortable as the owner popped in and out – he wasn’t standing watching me eat, as you sometimes find in small cafes.

The service I received was friendly, although I was a little taken aback that the owner swore twice within a short conversation, concerned about people who had gone off for a walk for the day, leaving their car outside his tearoom. However, I am fairly sure that this was just friendly ‘banter’ with a young person; he certainly didn’t speak in the same way to the elderly lady who came into the tearoom later on, and he was actually very welcoming and pleasant.

Having completed a long, hot ride through the Wolds, I needed something a little more substantial to eat than cake, although the selection of homemade scones and cakes on offer did look incredibly inviting. I ordered a ham sandwich and a cup of tea, both of which were brought out to me pretty quickly.

The sandwich was rather basic, but with ham from Lincolnshire and bread baked just down the road in Market Rasen, it seemed well worth the price I paid. In fact, it was extremely tasty and just what I needed. It wasn’t a fancy meal, just good food that filled a gap.



The Tealby Tea Rooms is not the sort of place I would suggest you go out of your way to, for a special visit, but if you are in the area and fancy a cup of tea and something to eat, you will find it a very pleasant experience. Being reasonably priced and in one of the most beautiful villages in Lincolnshire, they seem to be onto a good thing.
Cup of tea: £1.65
Ham sandwich: £3.20
Total: £4.85



The Tealby Tea Rooms
http://www.tealbytearooms.co.uk/
Groups welcome by appointment
All groups visits in include, with no obligation, a free talk on Tealby history,famous for its paper mills and the Tennyson connection.
12 Front StreetTealbyMarket RasenLN8 3XU
01673 838261
info@tealbytearooms.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment